Friday, November 25, 2011

Doily candle holder

Creating this gorgeous doily votive holder is quite simple.



Get ready with:
Freshly washed doilies
Balloon
Sugar Starch

MUST KNOW: How to make sugar starch
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
freshly washed doilies
aluminum foil (to protect the surface being worked on)




Craft in this order:
mix sugar and water in pan and heat on low on stove (DO NOT LET BOIL- will burn sugar)
stir frequently until mixture is smooth and even, then let it cool
wet and wring excess water out of doilies until damp
place and saturate doily in the sugar mixture (ONE AT A TIME!)
squeeze excess mixture out
place doily on balloon (make sure it isn't too wet to slide off of balloon)
slightly overlap doilies to form support to build upward
-- make a random or elaborate design
hold balloon while doilies dry and slightly press down on aluminum foil (this will form a flat bottom for the eventual candle holder to sit on - toppling over with a candle will result in fire!!)
when doilies are completely dry, pop balloon and carefully peel from doilies




12 comments:

  1. Love this idea! Once I find some cute doilies on an antique shopping run, I'm totally going to do this. Can't believe how easy it is! Your picture is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This could also be done with free standing lace embroideries. I am going to try to make some free standing lace and try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you tell me what size doily you used and what size balloon?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, this is so beautiful, do you think it would work at all with paper doilies?
    thanks
    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can anyone recommend what size doilies to use?

    ReplyDelete
  6. i wonder too if this would work with paper doilies

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried this and it didn't turn out that good. Don't know if the doilies I used were too big. I used 8" doilies. Every time I went to turn the balloon upside down to lightly press the bottom against the foil to flatten the bottom, the top edges of the doily would flop over, it wasn't sticking to the balloon.
    Anyone who could recommend what size doilies to use, it would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did this and I used One 10 inch doilie. You DON'T have to use a balloon,I also used a stainless steel 8in bowl and turned it upside down. I pinched the doilies on 4 corners to add design.You also have to make sure they are dried all the way.Then I just lifted it off the bowl. You can use a balloon and you don't have to turn it upside down on foil, mine actually just form a flat bottom. You can use 8.5in or 10in doilies just depends on size of bowl or balloon. I do not recommend paper doilies as they tear apart.You can also use Modge Podge or Good old Elmer's glue and water. Just wring out excess. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh very nice Candle Holder. Thank you very much for your great post.I'm so happy by visit this site that I’ve already bookmark this site and I will come back again .
    wedding-event-centerpieces

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great !!! This is so phenomenal!!!That is very impressive! Candle Stands are gorgeous and the makeover is totally amazing. I love it. You really did a super job with Candle Stand! I use to do buy online Candle Stand as its time saving.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are beautiful! I own a soy candle company and would love to make these and give them as Christmas gifts along with our tealights. Not to be a Debbie-downer but could this be a fire hazard? Just need to cover my butt and protect my business.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete